Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The only constant thing in life, is change!!

Last week, I attended a school reunion. I was pretty excited about it, since I've lost touch with almost everyone I knew in school, so when I heard about the reunion, I knew I was gonna go for sure. It'd been 3 years since I'd met anyone, and really wanted to know what everyone was doing with their lives.
It wasn't a big group of people, just about 45 people showed up, the others were either too busy, out of town, and some couldn't care less. Nonetheless I doubt anyone was gonna let that ruin it.
It's very awkward when someone yells your name from across the room, walks upto you with a big bright smile, and asks you how you are, and what you're doing....you proceed to tell them the goings on in your life, and then suddenly it strikes you, like a brick in the face, "Oh no, whats her name?!?!" You're brain then starts to scan all the "faces" you know, searching for a name tag. Was her name Apurva? or no, wait I think it was Tripti? or Anoushka? This process might take from a few seconds, to a coupla minutes, and all this while, all your face muscles manage to do is force a smile, whereas your brain is a mess, busy sorting through it's long term memory folder, which is, at the moment, out of order.
And then you say, "Sooo....umm whats up with you?" You can avoid the embarrassment, you don't HAVE to address her by name. Just act casual, ask normal questions, "Where are you now? What college are you in? What courses are you doing?". You know, the usual.
What you don't count on, is her asking you, "You do remember me, right?" Dammit! I think that forced smile might have given it away! Now what? You say, "Ofcourse I remember! Don't be silly." Laugh nervously. I bet that expression on your face says, "Oh come on!! It's been 3 long years since I last saw your face, OKAY, so I don't remember your name. What I do remember, is that you got slapped across the face, by Ma'am Delphine, for "dae-dreamaing about sillae bai's (boys)" Yeah that Delphine, was and still is quite a bitch! Meanwhile you're brain is a storm of random names, or actually just a tornado or random words. Don't ask why, but for some unexplainable reason, I thought of see-saws!!
And then,just when you think it's over, a shrill voice from across the room goes, "Oh my God!! Tripti Bajaj!!" TRIPTI!! I knew it! TRIPTI BAJAJ! How could I have forgotten? The girl was infamous! Saving grace! The forced smile, turns to one of relief. All you say is, "Go ahead, I'll catch up with the others. Have fun"....WALK AWAY, WALK AWAY NOW!!!
Phew!

All in all the reunion was fun. You realize just how much has changed, when all you talk about, is what happened in the past, bunking classes, hanging out in the auditorium, getting punished under the soapnut tree and kneeling all day! Ma'am Celine falling off the platform while taking Biology class, amoung many others.
In one way a lot has changed, just like they're supposed to, just like you knew they would. But on the other hand, somethings haven't changed at all. The quiet, shy girls are either still the same, or have come out of their shells a little too much. The sluts are still the sluts they used to be, now maybe they have a mobile phone and are on the pill. The rich kids, still the rich kids obviously, they ofcousre always had mobile phones, though now, they have better ones.

And then there's that group of people you hung out with, everyday of your life, for more than 10 years. You haven't seen them in mor than 3, and yet, not much seems different, Shanu's got her nose pierced, Renuka, is still the bubbly, over excited, thing she always was. Josini, has past way beyond the already high score she had on the smart-o-meter.....And all of a sudden you miss everyone.

1 comment:

Desiree Alemao said...

I love your style of writing , you should do this more often . It has a very surreal feel to it like a cyrus mistry novel, though I know its real but still.. loving it